Monday, April 4, 2016

My Story

Happy Monday everyone! And a big hello. It's always kind of a weird feeling starting a brand new blog and writing out the very first post. I have this blank canvas right in front of me, where do I start?

Seeing how it's Monday, and in the social media world, Monday's are normally associated with motivation. We all need a little motivation, especially me. On the days where I don't feel like working out. Or when I want to eat a giant cheeseburger. Ice cream? Cookies? Brownies? Can see where I'm going with this. I figured with today and this post, it would be a perfect way to introduce my blog. My journey. My story.

Throughout my life I never really considered myself overweight. Chubby, yes. Fluffy, yes. But not to the point where my weight really affected my ability to do anything. Except, it did.

I used to be a HUGE gamer geek. I've played a plethora of RPG console games and a fair share of MMO RPG games. For those not fluent in gamer talk, that's role playing and online role playing games. It was a way for me to kind of escape the real world. I moved freshman year of high school from California (where I grew up) to Arizona. I wasn't a happy camper, and it affected my ability to make friends, socialize, be active, and do well in school. I gravitated towards video games most during this time period.

Over the years I grew more and more attached to my computer. Now, being on the computer isn't a bad thing. However, there were days (more than once) I would sit in front of the computer for hours upon hours and play World of Warcraft. My drug of choice. I did make many friends (and an ex-boyfriend who I met on there and moved to Michigan for), some of which I still talk to even now. Unfortunately, my weight climbed. By not being active and eating all the wrong things, and being glued to a chair, my body and my confidence took a toll.

Two relationships and a random Facebook post later, I was introduced to Beachbody in January of 2015. I was tired of looking at myself in the mirror and crying because of what and who I saw. It WASN'T me. I was trapped in a shell of someone that I didn't recognize. I shut the world out and was confined into this tiny space of myself. My friend who was doing the 21 Day Fix made a post, to which I commented on, and got connected with my coach. My life changed after that.



I lost around 20 lbs. with the 21 Day Fix. Three weeks with portion control eating, 30 minute workouts and Shakeology. I joined a Facebook group during this process and made tons of new friends. I started gaining confidence in myself. I was excited to be able to go shopping and try on clothes that never used to fit me before. It wasn't easy, and throughout the year of 2015, I had many ups and downs.

2016 rolled around and I again, needed a change. I still wasn't where I wanted to be, and am still not. I ordered the program Focus T25 around my birthday in January, and was going to commit myself to healthier eating and being more active. Focus T25 is amazing because it really is only 25 minutes. I know with long workouts at home or even in the gym I get bored and want to give up. But 25 minutes? I can do that. And I did. I just finished my first round over a week ago, and lost several lbs. and inches. As of right now, I've lost around 38 lbs.

Another change I had in January was becoming a coach. My coach has been so amazing and so supportive of me. Always had my back even on the days where I wanted to quit, messed up, was negative. She was there. She inspired me everyday to push myself. I wanted to be that for someone else. If I can inspire even one person to make a small step forward toward their goal, that would mean everything to me.

And now, here we are. It's April. I'm awaiting the arrival of the new 22 Min. Hard Corps program to arrive along with a new cookbook. Tools to continue to help me on this journey. I'm not perfect and I'll always have my struggles. But, I'm human and I mess up sometimes. The key is to NOT give up and keep going. That's what I'm going to do

This is me. This is my story. Simply Sammy.



6 comments :

  1. I enjoyed reading this! You are doing great and your posts have motivated me to get off my ass! Keep up the great work Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You inspire me everyday reading your posts! Means a lot. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this! The only thing I disagree on, is you are not Simply Sammy. You are amazing, smart, funny, inspirational Sammy. The journey to weight loss and a healthier lifestyle is never easy. Especially for us chubby/fluffy girl who don't concider ourselves fat. I'm starting again today for the 20th time... but the important thing is that we never give up. I'm so proud of you and how far you've come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know how much this means to me! We're in this together. You motivate me all the time, hope you know that. Trust me, it's a struggle everyday. But we won't give up. Just have to keep on keeping on. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm surprised Michelle didn't tell you to message me. You'll find a lot of parallels between my journey and yours. I was a WoW player turned exercise enthusiast. I started with P90X back in 2007 and now I write for their website on occasion. :D Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Really, that's pretty cool. :) And awesome for you! I'm still quite a "newbie" in this whole thing, but trying my best. :) Thanks for the kind words! That really means a lot. :)

      Delete